Investigate! Invent! Innovate!™
Investigate! Invent! Innovate!
Identify a PROBLEM. Be the first with a SOLUTION
Take it to MARKET. Hey, I’m an INVENTOR!
“Yes, we can show adults that we have great ideas too!”
– Student Participant
Did you know?
- 50,000 student inventors from grades 7 & 8 across Canada since I³ began 17 years ago
- I3 currently runs in Ontario and Alberta and is fully aligned with the provinvial curriculum
- Invention Conventions take place in 13 venues in 5 cities
- We’ve even had I3 piloted in Norway
All students have a natural curiosity and intelligence that is waiting to be developed. They need a solid foundation in science, mathematics and technology to succeed in today’s digital age. The I3 – Investigate! Invent! Innovate!™ program is designed precisely to do this – to channel their creativity into a guided investigative, inventive and innovative experience, and instil a passion for science, math and technology.
What is I3 - Investigate! Invent! Innovate!™?
The I3 – Investigate! Invent! Innovate!™
is an integrated math, science and technology program for Grades 7 and 8 students. The goal of I3
- Investigate! Invent! Innovate! is to instil a passion or math, science and technology, to foster innovative thinking and to make learning science fun. Students identify a problem or opportunity in their daily lives and then invent a product or service to solve the problem based on concepts they learn in class. Their ‘invention’ and process is showcased at school and citywide Invention Conventions.
The Learning Partnership’s I3 – Investigate! Invent! Innovate!™
is delivered in classrooms and fully aligns with the Provincial Science & Technology and Language Curriculum. Students foster innovative thinking through learning applied science, math and technology in a way that is creative, hands-on and relevant in their lives.
Who Benefits from the I3 program?
Students in Grade 7 & 8 Benefit
- Develop investigative and critical thinking skills, creative problem solving, research, graphic design, oral presentation, and sales and marketing skills
- Foster a passion for math, science and technology through hands-on and relevant learning
- Understand the difference between invention and innovation, and its applications
- Embrace innovative thinking and collaborative team work
- Nurture self-esteem and confidence while taking risks
- Showcase their `inventions` at the Invention Conventions
Support for Teachers
Teachers and Schools Benefit
- This program is unique and different from other “commercially” available programs because it is not an extracurricular activity but is fully aligned and integrated with the provincial curriculum.
- I³ is designed to be part of the classroom where all students can participate – not just a select few
- I³ is a cost-free program for schools, teachers and students
- I³ does not involve additional preparation work on the part of the teacher and we will provide needed resources and materials
- I³ creates a collaborative learning environment through team work
- I³ integrates science learning across other subjects such as language, visual arts, history, information technology
- All materials are online and are readily available to teachers in the program
A professional development workshop is held for teachers new to the program, and a variety of supports are available through the Facebook Group
and the Program Manager. The Learning Partnership covers all costs for teachers’ workshop as well as bus transportation to the Invention Conventions.
Resources available online for participating teachers include:
The Learning Partnership and the I3 program aspire to:
- I3 Investigate! Invent! Innovate! Teachers Guide
- Provincial Curriculum Match
- Student Handbook
- Career Development Guide
- I3 Facebook Group for teachers to discuss and share
- Expand the I-Cubed programs from Ontario and Alberta to every province in Canada
- Grow student participation from 50,000 to date to 75,000 in the next 3 years
- See student inventions make it to market
- Have this interactive and innovative approach to learning prevalent in all learning environments
Gift in Kind Donation
For more information about this program, contact:
I³ National Manager and GTA
Phone: 416 915 7521